Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Things You're Doing Right

So I've been having a rough week or two here. In my Intro to Graduate Studies class we've been doing a lot of talking about jobs and internships, planning for future courses, workshopping resumes, and generally discussing the future.

My name is Stephanie and I have a confession: The future scares me.

If I'm being completely honest about it, I don't know where I'm going after I leave UC. I don't know what I will be doing. And I'm not sure what I want to be doing, which makes it difficult to come up with a course of study or a "dream job" to be working towards. I spent a lot of effort trying to pitch myself to graduate schools as a flexible and adaptable person, and it worked; but now I'm having a hard time choosing a path to "adapt" myself to.

I've been frustrated about this for a while. Today I was talking to Paul about it (for the umpteenth time, I'm sure) and I said I felt like nothing is going right at the moment. To which he kindly replied, "I think you're doing a lot of things right." And that got me thinking. Although the future still scares me, I'm going to try to think about the things that are going right at this moment.

So, I hereby present to you The List of Things (I Think) I'm Doing Right:

1. Learning How to Be an Adult. For the first time in my life, I am somewhat supporting myself--at least as far as rent and groceries go. I have a job and I'm learning to budget my money responsibly.

2. Being a Student. This is probably the thing I am best at in life. Whatever else I may be mediocre at, I get my work done, I meet deadlines, and I pass my classes. Period.

3. Learning to Cook. This one is obviously a work in progress, but it's a lifelong skill that is going to serve me well. I've already mastered and memorized a handful of quick and easy recipes so I can feed myself (read: so I won't starve). And learning how to make things from scratch is cheaper and better for you than eating a whole bunch of Lean Cuisine.

4. Getting Enough Sleep. It seems silly, but sleep is one of the basics of life that students seem to miss out on. I can safely report that I get about eight hours every night.

5. Staying Active. As lovely as the Bearcat Transit is on those days when I just need to get to campus in under five minutes, I have been trying to walk as much as possible. It's helping me stay in shape, and I get to enjoy the beautiful fall weather we are still having (no snow yet!!). I'm also trying to work out at least twice a week.

6. Trying New Things. Since I've been in Cincinnati, I have experienced quite a few things that are unique to the area like Skyline Chili, Graeter's, a Bearcats football game, the city bus system, two Fountain Square festivals, and more. I'm getting more comfortable in the city and I'm learning a lot about the area.

UC vs. North Carolina State

That's all I have for you right now.. but don't worry, I already have plans for a sequel to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment