Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Better Mug Cake, Take 2 (As in, better than the Better Mug Cake!)

I know it's been a while. Things have been crazy, but they are finally calming down.

Here's a quick run down of what I've been up to in the past two weeks:
  • Successfully finished my first year of graduate school.
  • Completed my first internship for the program.
  • Started a cool second internship for the summer with a trade magazine.
  • Attended "opening night" for the 2012 drum corps season!
  • Ran in the Run for Your Lives 5K in Indiana...I didn't make it out "alive," but I had a blast doing it!
  • Bought new running shoes (in anticipation of the awful things that would happen to the old ones at RFY).
  • Got my first "big girl" job--still working out the details, but I'll update on that a little bit later... =)
Anyway, all of this busy-ness has meant less time than usual for cooking. I've been making some tasty summer salads to take to work for lunch, and I'll be posting some recipes for those later.

But, salads? Surely that's not why you're here, looking at this post...

No, you're here because you've seen my claim for a better, better mug cake. I'm not exaggerating, either. This cake is faster and simpler, with fewer ingredients, and completely amazing. And fewer calories than the original!

The great thing about this mug cake (aside from all of the above benefits) is this: it makes a tasty, delicious chocolatey sauce at the bottom of your mug. And the more milk you add, the more sauce you get! (Although I suspect you would eventually hit the law of diminishing returns with that one...but I haven't yet.) It reminds me of the pudding cakes my friends and I would make at sleepovers back in high school: dense, chocolatey cake with a rich sauce underneath to spoon on top, that we'd eat straight from the pan at some point after midnight. I'm pretty sure that cake came from a box, but this one certainly doesn't have to!

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me figure out where I found this recipe. (I'm usually very good about these things...but the site never made it to my bookmarks!) So, I'm not trying to plagiarize, and if you know where the recipe came from, please tell me so I can link to it. And leave a raving review.

Saucy Chocolate Mug Cake (Or, the Best Mug Cake Ever)
Serves one

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 tbsp skim milk (or a little more...) 
  • Toppings and/or mix-ins


Some of the usual suspects...


Steps

1.  Combine the dry ingredients in a microwave-safe mug with a fork.



Mix it up!




2.  Add the vanilla and milk. Stir to combine. Add a spoonful of chocolate chips or other mix-in if desired.


What's a well-loved recipe without a little spill on it?


3.  Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Check the cake--it should be mostly dry on top, but you should be able to sort of tilt it back and forth by pressing gently near the rim of the mug. That's a good sign that your sauce is alive and well down at the bottom. Microwave for 10-15 seconds longer if necessary.


An 8-oz mug works fine, as long as your heart can can handle
the pop-up effect. If you're afraid of overflow, use a bigger mug.


4.  Top with Nutella, peanut butter, or whatever. Or just dig in! Enjoy!


Before topping--I realized I never got a good picture of the
"saucy" part--but trust me, it's down there on the bottom!!


4.  Top and enjoy!


Topped with Trader Joe's Almond Cocoa Spread
and a few chocolate chips.


Very good! And around 200 calories, depending on how much milk you add, and your mix-ins and toppings. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment