Friday, July 13, 2012

Balsamic Strawberries & Greek Yogurt


Long time, no recipes. I know, I know. My only excuse is that my life is full right now, and I haven't had much time to cook anyway--and the recipe I'm about to share reflects that. I was craving something sweet and summery, and this was the perfect ending to my dinner tonight.

Berries and balsamic vinegar may seem unusual, but trust me--it's the perfect sweet and tart combination, perfect over a creamy scoop of Greek yogurt. You can use regular yogurt too, of course. A word of advice if you go the Greek route: don't buy 0%. It'll be thick, yes, but every brand I've tried has been too sour for my taste. The 2% variety solves that problem (with fewer calories than full-fat versions) and fills you up better too.


Use any kind of berries or swap in mint for the basil
if you want to mix it up!

Balsamic Strawberries & Greek Yogurt
Serves one

Ingredients
  • 4 medium strawberries
  • 3-5 fresh basil leaves, or fresh mint
  • 1 tsp honey or brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I like Trader Joe's or Fage 2%)
Steps

1.  Hull and slice the strawberries. In a bowl, combine the berries, honey, and vinegar. Mix well and set aside.

2.  Chiffonade the basil: Stack all the basil leaves on top of the largest and roll them up, then slice the log into thin slivers.

3.  Add the yogurt to a bowl. Sweeten with honey, if desired. Top with strawberries and garnish with basil. 

Wash your dishes and then get out of the kitchen and eat this on the porch!

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely doing this. Oh, and if this whole grad school thing doesn't work out, you're more than welcome to become my personal chef. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad to know I have a backup plan now. =)

      Delete