But instead my first attempt was potstickers, something decidedly Asian. Although if Marco Polo really did bring pasta back to Italy from China...maybe it does make sense.
Anyway, the back story: I "discovered" potstickers about a year ago, and made a habit of buying them whenever I saw them in the freezer section. This was during my undergrad days, and my grocery store then always had them. The Kroger where I shop these days, however, does not, so for a while I lived with no potstickers.
And then, I discovered Trader Joe's, a magical store that carries not one, but FOUR different types of potstickers (or gyoza, as they are labelled there). So for a while I bought the pork or chicken potstickers and was contented. And then, Lent happened. No more pork, no more chicken. My choices were narrowed to Shrimp or Thai Vegetable, so I got the vegetable ones.
Trader Joe, I was disappointed. The Thai vegetables were mushy, the wrappers were pre-browned for some odd reason, and I still don't know what makes them "Thai." I gave them a chance, but ultimately this is not a solution.
Which brings us to Wednesday's interesting adventure. I typically don't go "off book" on foods I've never made before, but this was an exception. I'm not going to say these potstickers are authentic or correct or anything like that. I mean, I had to use wonton wrappers (more on that later). These are borne of the mind of a finals week graduate student. Take them for what you will.
Vegetable Potstickers
Ingredients
1 small package of coleslaw mix (shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cabbage)
8 white mushrooms, cleaned
1 tbsp minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
1 egg, beaten
1 package (40-count) wonton wrappers (get potsticker/gyoza wrappers if you can)
Water
Steps
1. Chop coleslaw mix roughly in batches. Chop mushrooms into small dice.
| Just a rough chop on the coleslaw, so you don't end up with huge pieces! |
| Cook the veggies until crisp-tender |
| Strain the extra liquid out of the filling. |
5. Prepare your assembly area. Have a bowl of water (for sealing), a damp paper towel (to cover unused wrappers), a plate, a spoon or fork, and a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper ready to go.
| Not pictured: a cup of water for wetting the skins. |
| Wet the edges of the wrapper and place a spoonful of filling in the center. |
| Fold corner to corner... |
| ...seal one edge... |
| Press out as much air as you can while sealing the other side. |
| Fold the top corners together just like for the triangle shape. Then, fold the side corners in one by one. |
| You should end up with something that looks like this! |
| Not my best work. |
| On the plus side, these potstickers are one of the most photogenic foods I've ever blogged about! |
Cooking station. Yes, I ate all of those. It was a long
cooking session.
|
| If this happens... just slosh some soy sauce on top and call it good. That's what I did. |
| One of the few that came out perfectly steamed AND nicely browned on the bottom. |
| The microwave was kind to this little guy. |
So, while I didn't succeed at producing perfect potstickers with wonton wrappers (I don't think that's possible), they're still better than the Thai vegetable things that are still sitting in my freezer. Why?
| Fresh, tasty, and non-mushy veggies! |
No comments:
Post a Comment